Job Purpose:Senior Counsel – France, within the Citi France legal team
- Provide legal advice to all business lines operating from France and/or having French clients, including in particular Markets (e.g derivatives, repo, debt and equity capital markets, Funds and listed warrants), Global Banking (e.g. corporate banking, M&A advisory), Transactions and Trade Services (e.g. cash products, payments, cards, trade, supplier finance), Direct Custody and Clearing, Private Bank and Commercial Banking.
- Draft and negotiate French law contractual documentation in compliance with applicable Citi policies and French legal requirements (in co-ordination with external counsels as the case may be), notably (i) derivatives and repo master agreements and clearing documentation, (ii) loan agreements and review loan agreements and any written supporting guarantees pursuant to the Citi Risk Manual, (iii) confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements, (iv) cash account conditions, cheques, capital injections and increases, civil enforcement procedures on cash accounts (v) treasury/cash management agreements, (vi) payments and transfer documentation, (vii) cards and e-money documentation, (viii) upon request from TTS Trade Advisory, trade finance documentation (guarantees, standby letters of credit, counterindemnities), (ix) supplier finance documentation.
- Assisting the Country Counsel and, as the case may be, regional Product Counsels, with French legal due diligence for the implementation of any new products and services.
- Litigation conduct and monitoring, in coordination with external counsels, reporting to the Country Counsel and through Citi reporting database tool.
- Produce synthetic legal memoranda on specific French legal points of interest for the Bank and the local franchise.
- Produce regular updates on French legal and regulatory developments.
- Assisting the Country Counsel in all local and global governance aspects.
- Research and monitor in-country legal and regulatory developments that may impact or affect the business of Citi.
- Provide support and co-ordinate the legal advice to Citi’s various functional areas in France, such as e.g. Compliance, IT and Human Resources.
- Identify legal risks and working with Country Counsel to mitigate these risks.
- Take part in maintaining legal team risk assessments (MCA), litigation reports and other Citi Policy Governance requirements.
- More generally, any French legal and regulatory questions which may have impact on Citi’s business.
- Opportunities for the candidate to further develop her/his knowledge, skills and understanding of legal aspects in various business lines of Citi, through a generalist but multi-task approach and in an international environment.
- Master 2 (or equivalent degree) in French law.
- At least 8 years of experience as a lawyer in the banking and financial sector.
Skills and Competencies:
- Capacity to learn, adapt and be polyvalent in a demanding environment.
- Good communication with clients and within the team as well as with other internal functions.
- Capacity to make decisions and to prioritise.
- Capacity to solve problems efficiently and pragmatically.
- Team spirit.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Good knowledge of French banking and financial laws and regulations.
- Strong ethics culture.
- Sensitivity to client priorities.
- Fluency in legal French and English (written, oral, drafting) is a must.
Job Family Group:
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries (“Citi”) invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi.
View the “EEO is the Law” poster. View the EEO is the Law Supplement.
View the EEO Policy Statement.
View the Pay Transparency Posting